Displaying casts tagged gnome
August 28, 2012
Karen and Bradley discuss recent coverage of GNOME by the technology press, and more generally issues and concerns with the technology press.
This show was released on Tuesday 28 August 2012; its running time is 00:56:31.
Segment 0 (00:44)
- Bradley couldn't find support for his claim about
in the can, and Karen may be right.(01:15)
- Bradley mentioned that the GNOME Foundation negative press recently is akin to what Harry Reid did by stating rumors regarding Romney's taxes. (05:03)
- Karen mentioned the Debunking Handbook that Germán Póo-Caamaño mentioned to her. (06:30)
- Bradley mentioned the quote
I do not think [that word] means what you think it meansfrom The Princess Bride. (13:30)
- Karen mentioned the GNOME 15 year Anniversary Site. (17:22)
- Bradley mentioned Dave Neary's GNOME census, and quoted numbers from the census. (21:30)
- Bradley discussed Eazel, a company co-founded by Andy Hertzfeld. (23:03)
- Karen mentioned GNOME's Outreach Program for Women, in which Conservancy participates. (25:34)
- Karen mentioned an article that came out on the same day as this audcast. (30:30)
- Bradley mentioned that some research by evolutionary biologists suggests language may have developed for gossip (38:48). Bradley couldn't find evidence easily online for the 80% is gossip claim on the audcase, but did find an article talking about 65% of human communication is gossip.
- Bradley mentioned the television series, The Human Animal. (39:17)
- Bradley mentioned a thread he recently posted in on the BusyBox mailing list. (50:32)
- Bradley mentioned that there are many cognitive psychological biases. (51:11)
September 28, 2011
Karen and Bradley discuss the GNOME 3.2 release, Karen interviews Jos Poortvliet, Bradley complains about identi.ca web interface and they discuss together UEFI “secure” boot, and the PyPy Python 3 campaign.
This show was released on Wednesday 28 September 2011; its running time is 00:48:46.
Segment 0 (00:40)
Segment 1 (07:14)
- Karen interviewed Jos Poortvliet
Segment 2 (21:04)
- Bradley mentioned Shaun McCance's post to desktop-devel about response bias, which he posted on user survey thread. (25:04)
- Karen mentioned that GNOME 3.2 has been released with new features, such as better window resizing. (28:57)
- Bradley pointed out that gnats was one of the earliest Free Software bug tracking systems. (30:37)
Segment 3 (31:53)
- Bradley mentioned that he feels like the unfrozen caveman lawyer when trying to use identi.ca now. (32:54)
- Bradley mentioned Matthew Garrett's blog post about UEFI so-called “secure” booting. (37:36)
- PyPy is trying to raise funds to support Python 3 on PyPy. (41:20)
June 21, 2011
Karen announces her new job, and Bradley and Karen discuss the recent USA Supreme Court decisions on patents.
Be sure to make sure you're subscribed to feeds available on faif.us if you haven't already!
This show was released on Tuesday 21 June 2011; its running time is 00:54:31.
Segment 0 (00:37)
- If you have not moved your RSS feed already away from softwarefreedom.org, and to faif.us, you should do that now! Here's links to the ogg RSS feed and mp3 RSS feed. New FaiF shows won't appear on softwarefreedom.org.
- Karen is now the Executive Director of the GNOME Foundation. (04:30)
- Bradley served on the GNOME Foundation Executive Director Hiring Committee, but resigned when Karen became a serious candidate. (05:13)
- Karen will continue as General Counsel of Question Copyright, and pro-bono counsel to Software Freedom Conservancy, and will also continue pro bono on some matters for SFLC. (06:30)
- Bradley has been working on GNU Bash. (07:34)
- Berlin's Tegel airport is closing soon. (14:40)
- Bradley mentioned that he incorrectly said in 0x11 that Red Hat doesn't provide sources publicly for RHEL. The RHEL SRPMS are actually on Red Hat's FTP site. (18:20)
- There are various identica threads on the RHEL issue from 0x11.(18:47)
- Bradley has previously explained the history of the term “punditocracy” in episode 0x0A. (27:46)
Segment 1 (28:58)
- Bradley and Karen discuss the USA Supreme Court decision in the Global-Tech Appliances, Inc. v. SEB S. A. case, on which SFLC submitted an amicus brief, which was previously discussed in FaiF Episode 0x05. (29:55)
- Bradley and Karen discuss the USA Supreme Court decision in the Microsoft Corp. v. i4i Ltd. Partnership case, on which the EFF submitted an amicus brief. (40:11)